For the beach themed bridal shower I was inspired by these two photos on Pinterest (here and here) for the cupcakes. I did not read or visit the websites these photos came from. I just looked at the pictures and came up with an idea of what I would do. The other hosts and I decided it would be best not to have blue colored icing. How funny would it have been having everyone walking around with blue lips! Not the elegant bridal shower we were envisioning!
- Cupcakes (I used chocolate and vanilla)
- Buttercream icing
- Seashell candy from a candy mold
- Ivory food coloring
- Brown sugar
- Just before you finish making your buttercream icing add a couple drops of the ivory food coloring and mix well.
- Load your icing into a pastry bag or a dessert decorator (I LOVE this one from Wilton. I use it all the time.) with a star decorating tip on it.
- Carefully, make a swirl on the cupcake. Start on the outside of the cupcake and slowly place the swirl just on the inside of the edge and continue until you reach the center. Repeat until all cupcakes are iced.
- Next sprinkle a pinch of brown sugar on each cupcake.
- Finally place a seashell candy on the cupcake. I propped the seashell up on the center icing swirl.
The main host of the shower came up with the idea of using brown sugar to give the idea of sand on the cupcakes. I had never seen that! I was planning on crumbling a couple extra cookies from the Oyster Cookies but I ended up not having any extras. So I was so glad she had mentioned using brown sugar during our planning meeting. I was so happy with the way these cupcakes turned out!
The brown sugar gave it a different flavor experience. It was so good! Or at least I assume it was because they were gobbled up! Have you ever used brown sugar or cookie crumbs on top of your cupcakes or cake?
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.