While I love to use buttercream icing for just about everything there are some cakes that need a little extra something, something. And that something is cream cheese buttercream icing! Trust me this icing will take your cake to the next level.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons water, if needed
- In a stand mixer cream cream cheese and butter.
- Then add powdered sugar one cup at a time. Mix well.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time, if needed.
Because this icing contains cream cheese, remember to refrigerate your cake.
Water, heavy whipping cream, or milk can be used to thin the icing.
Add 2 tablespoons of cinnamon to make a delicious cinnamon cream cheese buttercream icing.
What’s your favorite cake to use cream cheese icing on carrot cake, red velvet (my sister’s favorite), cookies and cream (another of my sister’s favorites), pumpkin, etc?
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.