James is not a fan of stuffed peppers, but I love them. With us going gluten free, I have been trying to find more rice dishes. I ran across this yummy Stuffed Peppers with Turkey and Vegetables on allrecipes.com. I didn’t have everything on hand to make them so I switched things around and came up with this recipe.
James does not like pasta sauce with rice. Per his request I left the pasta sauce out of his half. For that reason, you might have to increase the pasta sauce.
- Water or chicken stock
- 2 Bell peppers
- 1/2 lb ground chicken sausage (I used 1/2 Al Fresco Hot Italian Chicken Sausage & 1/2 Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage)
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 jar pasta sauce
- 2 TBSP garlic
- 1-2 TBSP Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Core bell peppers and remove seeds.
- Blanch the bell peppers for 15 minutes in boiling water.
- Boil rice in water, drain, and place in a bowl.
- Brown chicken sausage in a skillet with Italian seasoning.
- Once chicken is thoroughly cooked, place in the bowl with the rice. Add the spinach.
- In the same skillet, sweat the onion, peppers, and garlic until tender.
- Mix the onion mixture with the chicken.
- Stir in the pasta sauce.
- Slice the bell peppers in half and spoon chicken mixture into them.
- Place in a baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
I only used two bell peppers but there is more than enough filling for 4 or more peppers. I like to make extra filling to eat with my pepper. In fact, I had so much extra filling James mixed it in with our eggs the next morning. IT WAS SO GOOD!
Does your family eat stuffed peppers?
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.