A few weeks ago I texted James and asked how his day was going. He responded with “rough.” I asked if he wanted anything special for dinner. He said “cheese and lots of it.” Then he said he could really use some comfort food.
After reading James’ messages I knew he needed some “lovin’ from the oven.”
I went to the fridge and found some uncured applewood smoked bacon and shredded organic cheese cause nothing says love like B-A-C-O-N!
I had taken out a package of Laura’s Beef grass-fed organic ground beef to thaw that morning.
I also grabbed two boxes of Annie’s Homegrown Creamy Deluxe Rice Pasta Dinner. We loved Annie’s before we became gluten free but now we LOVE them! Their boxed mac and cheeses are so good and tasty. Now if they would only make the gluten free mac and cheeses organic we’d be in mac and cheese heaven.
I quickly whipped up a some “lovin’ from the oven” for my honey and had a pipping hot, creamy, delicious dish of Bacon Cheeseburger Macaroni waiting for him.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 boxes Annie’s Homegrown Creamy Deluxe Rice Pasta Dinner (or your favorite boxed mac & cheese)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a frying pan, fry bacon until crisp.
- Place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the grease.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook macaroni according to directions.
- Drain macaroni and place in an oven safe dish.
- In the same frying pan, brown ground beef.
- Drain and rinse ground beef in a colander.
- Mix ground beef with macaroni noodles.
- Stir in cheese sauce packet.
- Crumble bacon on top of macaroni.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of bacon.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and melted.
While this dish is in no way something I would feed my family often, it is a great comfort food dish that is made healthier by using better ingredients. We love Laura’s Beef. When we switched over to organic grass-fed beef we noticed that there was a lot less grease in the meat and this is one organic product where you can actually TASTE the difference.
James does not notice much of a difference in the uncured bacon but I do. I do not get any residual migraines from uncured meats.
Before we were gluten free, we were buying Annie’s Homegrown Organic Mac and Cheese but I have not found their gluten free mac and cheese in organic yet (hopefully they will make it soon).
Add a side of steamed broccoli or a garden salad to the Bacon Cheeseburger Macaroni and you have a complete meal ready in no time.
Do you have a comfort food? What’s your favorite “lovin’ from the oven” dish?
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.