Well let’s be honest… I’d probably eat this black bean chili anytime! It combines two of my favorite foods: sweet potatoes and black beans! Plus Cakey likes it too!
This black bean chili is great with or without the ground beef. I just like the extra flavor it adds.
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 c chicken broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cans black beans or 30 oz prepared dry black beans
- 1-2 tbsp chili seasoning
- 4 baked sweet potatoes
- Baked sweet potatoes using your favorite method.
- In a large pot, brown ground beef with 1 tablespoon chili seasoning over medium heat.
- Drain beef and saute onion, pepper, and garlic in the pot.
- Combine black beans, canned tomatoes, chicken stock, salt, sugar, cocoa powder, and remaining chili seasoning (if desired) to beef mixture and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 30-45 minutes.
- Split sweet potatoes in half and ladle chili on top.
I like this chili a little bit spicy so I add the 2 tablespoons sometimes more if Cakey is not going to be eating it!
I like to freeze individual portions of the chili for easy lunches (I do not freeze the sweet potatoes). I bake a fresh batch of sweet potatoes for the lunches.
What’s your favorite chili?
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.