I have a confession. I tried so many times to make broccoli cheddar soup and I failed at it over and over again. I tried to make it in the crock-pot like I do with my loaded baked potato soup and it was awful. Finally, I tried making it in my dutch oven. Success! It was wonderful and delicious.
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1/2 lb broccoli, washed
- 1 cup grated carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a dutch oven.
- Saute onion. Set aside.
- Melted 1/4 cup butter in the pan over medium heat and whisk in flour for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir constantly and slowly add in the half-and-half.
- Add the chicken stock in while whisking all the time.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Chop the broccoli.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and cooked onions.
- Cook over low heat till veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Allow the soup to thicken.
- Scoop the soup out in batches and pour into the blender and puree. Make sure you leave the vent opened on the blender so that the soup doesn’t explode. Also, blend it on low speed.
- Return to pot over low heat and add the cubed cream cheese; stir until well blended.
- Stir in the grated cheddar cheese; continue stirring until well blended.
I like to double this soup and freeze half of it.
We like to serve this with some sourdough bread or rolls.
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.