With all my juicing I have a lot of carrot pulp stored in my freezer (waste not, want not). So it’s a good thing I love carrot muffins. This recipe takes a healthier twist on a traditional recipe. These muffins freeze very well.
Whole Wheat Carrot Date (or Raisin) Muffins
- 1 cup chopped dates or raisins
- 2 cups orange juice or water (if using raisins)
- 2 cups sifted whole wheat flour
- 3/4 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (reduce brown sugar if using sweetened applesauce)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4-5 cups carrot pulp or 3 cups shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If using raisins, pour 2 cups of orange juice or water into a bowl and add raisins. Allow to soak for 15-20 minutes. Drain and set raisins aside.
- Line muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In the Kitchen Aid stand mixer, beat eggs, applesauce, and brown sugar.
- Slowly add flour mixture to egg mixture and combine until well moistened.
- Stir in carrots and dates or raisins.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out one scoop into each muffin tin.
- Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- If desired you can dust lightly with powdered sugar but we think they are delish without it.
Makes approximately one dozen muffins. These muffins would be delicious with walnuts added in!
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.