We love enchiladas. Especially, super cheesy enchiladas. However, enchiladas are a very rich dish. So, I took a basic enchilada recipe and made it a little bit healthier. I have some ideas for making them even healthier next time.
- 3 TBSP whole wheat flour
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 TBSP taco seasoning* + 1 additional TBSP taco seasoning**
- 8 whole wheat flour soft taco shells
- 1 lb ground beef (I used the organic one from Aldi’s – it’s delicious)
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 2 cups onions & peppers mix
*I make my own taco seasoning following the recipe in the Easy. Homemade. Book. If you want to use packaged taco seasoning you will need 1 packet of your favorite brand of taco seasoning.
**This additional tablespoon of taco seasoning is optional. It really kicks up the flavor and heat of the dish. James raved about it. Cakey did not like it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized saucepan on medium-high heat, cook beef broth until it boils.
- Then stir in the 3 TBSP of whole wheat flour until it thickens up a bit.
- Next, add the Greek yogurt and 2 1/2 TBSP taco seasoning.
- Reduce the heat and allow the sauce to thicken.
- In a frying pan on medium-high heat, cook the ground beef and 1 TBSP of taco seasoning until the beef is completely done.
- Drain beef in a colander.
- In the same frying pan, saute the onions & peppers until they are just turning tender.
- Mix the onions and peppers and 1 cup of cheese with the ground beef in a bowl.
- On a clean counter top, lay out all the tortillas.
- Place an even amount of the beef mixture on each tortilla.
- Roll the tortillas up burrito style.
- Pour a thin layer of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish, then add the burritos.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the burritos.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake at for 25 minutes.
This recipe serves 8 which is way too many for us. Which is why I made an Enchilada Freezer Kit with half of it. I hope you enjoy them! This recipe, of course, will work with chicken too!
Do you have a favorite enchilada or other Mexican dish recipe? Share it with us!
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.