As I have stated we Davis’ love burritos! Cakey and I also love black beans, which is why I came up with this simple chicken and black bean burrito recipe. This recipe makes about 15 large burritos so feel free to reduce the amount of ingredients or follow the directions below for freezing!
- Tortilla wraps (we used Mission wraps)
- 15.5 oz salsa (I use mild or medium but feel free to up the heat for yours)
- 8 oz shredded cheese (Mexican blend, cheddar, etc)
- 2 cans of black beans
- 2.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast
- *5 TBSP taco/chili seasoning
- Aluminum foil
- Zip top freezer bags
*I make my own taco/chili seasoning following the recipe from the Easy. Homemade.book. You could use two packets of taco seasoning.
- Place chicken breast and taco seasoning in crock pot and cover with water.
- Cook on LOW overnight or for 8-10 hours (check chicken at 8 hours for doneness).
- Remove a couple of pieces of chicken from crock pot and place in food processor. If you do not have a food processor, you can manually shred the chicken using two forks.
- Pulse until you have a nice shredded consistency.
- Pour into a bowl and repeat with remaining chicken breast.
- Add the black beans, shredded cheese, and salsa to the chicken breast and mix thoroughly.
- Place a tortilla wrap on a flat surface.
- Scoop out about 3/4 – 1 cup of the chicken and black bean mixture and place on the lower middle of the tortilla wrap. (The size of your tortilla will determine how much you chicken and black bean mixture you can place on the tortilla. On the large Mission tortillas I usually get about 1/2 cup of the mixture because I don’t want it leaking out the sides).
- Fold the sides and bottom in and roll from the bottom up.
- Heat and enjoy!
To store in freezer:
- Tear off a piece of aluminum foil big enough for the tortilla wrap.
- Place tortilla wrap on the middle of the aluminum foil sheet.
- Scoop out about 3/4 – 1 cup of the chicken and black bean mixture and place on the lower middle of the tortilla.
- Fold the sides and bottom of the tortilla in and roll from the bottom up.
- Fold the aluminum foil sheet over the burrito and roll up.
- Tighten and fold the sides of the aluminum foil sheet under the burrito.
- Place in a zip top freezer bag.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used.
- Microwave until thawed and thoroughly heated.
These burritos freeze very well and can be stored for up to 2-3 months (although ours barely last 2 months).
Have a blessed day!
Linking up here:
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.