This post, Chicken and Black Bean Burritos, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
We are big fans of burritos. The kids and I also love black beans. So of course, we would have to make chicken and black bean burritos. What I love most about this recipe, besides that it is delicious, is that it makes a lot. In fact it makes about 15 burritos which allows me to freeze most of them for later meals.
Chicken and Black Bean Burritos
- Tortilla wraps
- 15.5 oz salsa
- 8 oz shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- 2 cans of black beans
- 2.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 5 TBSP taco seasoning
- Aluminum foil
- Zip top freezer bags
- Place chicken breast and taco seasoning in crock pot and add 1 cup of water.
- Cook on LOW overnight or for 8-10 hours (check chicken at 8 hours for doneness).
- Remove a couple of pieces of chicken from crock pot and place in food processor. If you do not have a food processor, you can manually shred the chicken using two forks.
- Pulse until you have a nice shredded consistency.
- Pour into a bowl and repeat with remaining chicken breast.
- Add the black beans, shredded cheese, and salsa to the chicken breast and mix thoroughly.
- Place a tortilla wrap on a flat surface.
- Scoop out about 1/2-3/4 cup of the chicken and black bean mixture and place on the lower middle of the tortilla wrap.
- Fold the sides and bottom in and roll from the bottom up.
To store in freezer:
- Tear off a piece of aluminum foil big enough for the tortilla wrap.
- Place tortilla wrap on the middle of the aluminum foil sheet.
- Scoop out about 1/2-3/4 cup of the chicken and black bean mixture and place on the lower middle of the tortilla.
- Fold the sides and bottom of the tortilla in and roll from the bottom up.
- Fold the aluminum foil sheet over the burrito and roll up.
- Tighten and fold the sides of the aluminum foil sheet under the burrito.
- Place in a zip top freezer bag.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used.
- Thaw on the counter.
- Heat in toaster oven or regular oven.
- Or remove aluminum foil and microwave until thawed and thoroughly heated.
- To make the burritos gluten free make sure the taco seasoning is gluten free and use gluten free tortillas.
- White or whole wheat tortillas can be used.
These burritos freeze very well and can be stored for up to 2-3 months (although ours barely last 2 months).
One of our favorite ways to enjoy chicken and black bean burritos is to toast them in the toaster oven and then smoother them in queso. So good!
Have a great day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more main dishes? then check out my Recipes: Main Dishes board on Pinterest!