We love burritos here in the Davis house! They are so simple to make and there are so many varieties to make. One of Cakey’s and my favorite is a simple chicken and refried bean burritos. Of course, we use my homemade refried beans to make them! Would you like to try them? Okay here’s my simple but yummy recipe! This recipe makes a lot of burritos if you use tortillas instead of wraps so feel free to reduce the amount of ingredients or follow the directions below for freezing!
- Tortillas (we use Mission large but Mission wraps work even better)
- 15.5 oz salsa (I use mild or medium but feel free to up the heat for yours)
- 8 oz shredded cheese (Mexican blend, cheddar, etc)
- 4 cups of refried beans (about 64 oz if you are using canned beans)
- 2.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast
- *5 TBSP taco/chili seasoning
- Aluminum foil
- Zip top freezer bags
*I make my own taco/chili seasoning following the recipe from the Easy. Homemade. book. You could use two packets of taco seasoning.
- Place chicken breast and taco seasoning in crock pot and cover with water.
- Cook on LOW overnight or for 8-10 hours (check chicken at 8 hours for doneness).
- Remove a couple of pieces of chicken from crock pot and place in food processor. If you do not have a food processor, you can manually shred the chicken using two forks.
- Pulse until you have a nice shredded consistency.
- Pour into a bowl and repeat with remaining chicken breast.
- Add the refried beans, shredded cheese, and salsa to the chicken breast and mix thoroughly.
- Place a tortilla on a flat surface.
- Scoop out about 1/2 cup of the chicken and refried bean mixture and place on the lower middle of the tortilla. (The size of your tortilla will determine how much you chicken and refried bean mixture you can place on the tortilla. On the Mission tortilla wraps I usually get about 3/4 – 1 cup of the mixture).
- Fold the sides and bottom in and roll from the bottom up.
- Heat and enjoy!
To store in freezer:
- Tear off a piece of aluminum foil big enough for the tortilla.
- Place tortilla on the middle of the aluminum foil sheet.
- Scoop out about 1/2 cup of the chicken and refried bean mixture and place on the lower middle of the tortilla.
- Fold the sides and bottom of the tortilla in and roll from the bottom up.
- Fold the aluminum foil sheet over the burrito and roll up.
- Tighten and fold the sides of the aluminum foil sheet under the burrito.
- Place in a zip top freezer bag. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
- Microwave until thawed and thoroughly heated.
This recipe makes 16 large burritos. These burritos freeze very well and can be stored for up to 2-3 months (although ours barely last 2 months).
Have a blessed day!
Linking up here:
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.