This post, Chicken and Yellow Rice, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Chicken and Yellow Rice is a classic dish from my childhood. My grandmother made one version and my mom made a slightly different on. My recipe is a combination of the two I grew up with. Instead of using prepackaged Vigo seasoning or a Vigo yellow rice package, I use my own homemade saffron yellow rice seasoning.
Chicken and Yellow Rice is one of those all afternoon ones. So be prepared for it to take a long time. At the end of the recipe I have included some tips one of which will save you some time if you choose to use it.
Chicken and Yellow Rice
- 1 (approximately 4 lb) whole chicken
- Enough water to cover the chicken
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups white or brown rice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water, reserved from the boiled chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBSP oil
- 4 TBSP Saffron Yellow Rice Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, place chicken in and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 3 hours.
- Remove chicken and allow to cool.
- Reserve approximately 4-5 cups of water from pot.
- Once chicken is cool enough to handle, de-bone and shred.
- Use 1/2 of the meat for this recipe.
- In a skillet heat up oil and saute onion and garlic until soft.
- In a large pot bring reserved water and chicken stock to a boil.
- Add rice, uncracked eggs, chicken, onion, garlic, and saffron yellow rice seasoning to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat and cook about 15 minutes or until eggs are hard boiled.
- Remove eggs from pot and allow to cool.
- Continue cooking until rice is done.
- Roughly chop eggs and stir into chicken and rice after rice has finished cooking.
- Use 1/2 of the chicken meat and save 1/2 of the chicken meat for another meal.
- Save the chicken bones for stock.
- Save any skin, fat, or yucky parts for your pets.
- Use a roasted chicken instead. De-bone and use half of the roasted chicken meat. I do this a lot now as it saves time.
How do you like your chicken and yellow rice?
Have a great day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more main dishes? then check out my Recipes: Main Dishes board on Pinterest!