This post, Chocolate and Mint Chip Brownies With Chocolate Peppermint Buttercream Frosting, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Penguins in Pink is an Amazon Associate site.
My hubby LOVES chocolate and mint together. For his birthday he always requests mint brownies with mint frosting. After years of experimenting, I have perfected my Chocolate and Mint Chip Brownies With Chocolate Peppermint Buttercream Frosting are his favorite.
Chocolate and Mint Chip Brownies With Chocolate Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
For chocolate and mint chip brownies:
- 1 cup of butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dark cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup chocolate peppermint chips
For chocolate peppermint buttercream frosting:
- 7 TBSP of butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa
- 2 TBSP unsweetened dark cocoa
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 – 3 TBSP water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl blend together the butter, sugar, vanilla, and peppermint.
- Add in eggs and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until completely integrated.
- Stir in chocolate peppermint chips.
- The batter will be thick.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Then ice with the chocolate peppermint buttercream frosting and cut into squares.
Chocolate Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- In a stand mixer cream butter then add cocoa and powdered sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add peppermint extract and mix.
- Add one tablespoon of water.
- Continue adding water one tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Spread frosting over brownies.
- Brownies can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days if covered tightly.
- Leftover brownies can be frozen if stored in an air tight container.
- The brownies can be frozen either with the frosting or without.
- Brownies can be frozen for up to 3 months.
I like to spread the frosting on when the brownies are still slightly warm. I love the melty chocolatey-ness! It is soooo good!
I always make these delicious, chocolately, minty brownines for him on his birthday or whenever I feel like surprising him with his favorite treat.
Have a great day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more desserts? Check out my Recipes: Desserts board on Pinterest.