This post, DIY Chalkboard Cutting Board, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Chalkboards are cool now. Or at least I see them everywhere. And why not? They are so practical! You write your note or message and erase it when done. No wasted paper or forgotten message.
I decided to make a small DIY Chalkboard Cutting Board out of an adorable little cutting board I picked up at Ikea. I figured this size would be perfect for my tiny kitchen. Since I was already making one for me I decided to make one as a gift also. I did the chalkboards in two different ways. I framed the one I gave as a gift but decided I did not want the frame on mine so I redid it without the frame.
DIY Chalkboard Cutting Board
- Small cutting board
- Paint in a contrasting color
- Clear chalkboard paint
- Two paint brushes
- Stick of chalk
- Paint the base of the cutting board in your choice of paint color.
- Allow to dry and repaint at least one more coat before allowing to dry completely (two or more hours).
- Paint one coat of clear chalkboard paint vertically and allow to dry two hours.
- Paint a second coat of clear chalkboard paint horizontally and allow to dry 24 hours.
- Lightly rub chalk over surface to condition it.
Write your messages, notes, shopping lists, etc on it! I love how the DIY Chalkboard Cutting Board turned out! Just the “write” size! Haha! I know, bad pun! I like to write Bible verses on mine or love notes to my sweetie!
Have you jumped on the chalkboard craze? Do you find chalkboards useful?
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.