I think photo magnets are such a good gift idea. They are easy to make online and mail. You can create them in various sizes for different occasions and they are relatively inexpensive if you find a good deal. If you are a bit of a procrastinator, like me, by the time you remember a holiday like Mother’s Day is coming up (in 5 days actually) you have already missed the great online deals for them. That’s why I decided to make some myself.
DIY photo magnets are super easy to make and so much fun to customize!
- Picture(s) – I used 4×6
- Adhesive magnet in the size you are making
- Peel off the adhesive backing on the magnet and attach picture.
- Smooth down and you are done!
This was so simple I decided to take it a step further and give Cakey something to decorate also.
If you want to make a frame for your magnet you will need:
- Card stock
- X-Acto knife – or if you don’t own one like me a regular knife
- Stickers, glitter, etc – to decorate with
- Using your ruler draw a rectangle on the card stock that is at least 1 inch bigger on all side than your picture. In my case I drew a 5×7 inch rectangle.
- Cut out your rectangle using the scissors.
- Inside the rectangle draw another rectangle that is 1 inch smaller than your picture. I drew a 3×5 inch rectangle.
- Using the X-Acto knife (or regular knife) cut out the rectangle.
- If you are allowing a child to decorate the frame part have them do that now.
- Glue the frame to the picture and decorate if you have not already done so.
- Allow to dry for a few hours.
Alternatively, you could draw a rectangle on card stock that is at least 1 inch bigger than your picture. Cut out the rectangle with the scissors and glue your picture to the rectangle. Then peel the adhesive backing off the magnet and attach to the rectangle. Then decorate and allow to dry.
When you are done you have a very unique gift for someone (or for your self) that is heartfelt and special. I’m sure Cakey’s Grandma and Nana are going to treasure these for years.
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.