This post, DIY Pin the Heart on the Grinch a Grinchmas Game, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Penguins in Pink is an Amazon Associate site.
Last year I threw a Grinch-mas party. I had lots of fun coming up decorations, games, and food. And I’m super excited to start sharing them with you. At the bottom of the post you will find links to all the other posts.
How to make a DIY Pin the Heart on the Grinch. Similar to pin the tail on the donkey, players are blind folded, and have to pin a heart on the Grinch.
DIY Pin the Heart on the Grinch a Grinchmas Game
If like me, you tried to buy a Pin the Heart on the Grinch Game only for it to be sold out then this tutorial is for you. The Grinch is hand drawn on lime green poster board and cut out. Hopefully, you or someone you know can draw. 😉 Thankfully, my hubby can! The details are added by filling in with paint pens. Finally the entire thing is faux laminated with clear contact paper.
Supplies for the Grinch:
- 2 lime green poster board (Dollar Tree)
- Paint pens in black, yellow, red, and dark green
- Clear contact paper
- Clear packing tape
Directions for the Grinch:
- Sketch out the top of the Grinch on the lime green poster board.
- Then sketch out the legs on the other piece of poster board.
- Cut out the Grinch and the spaces between his arms and legs.
- Tape the legs to the torso of the Grinch using clear packing tape. Tape on the front and back sides for extra stability.
- Using the dark green paint pen, color in the Grinch’s shoes and collar.
- Then use the yellow paint pen to color his eyes and the red to color his pupils.
- Finally, use the black paint pen to outline and add details to the Grinch.
- Unroll a piece of contact paper slightly bigger than the Grinch and cut it away from the roll.
- Lay the contact paper face down on the work surface.
- With assistance carefully peel the backing off the contact paper.
- Immediately lay the Grinch on the sticky contact paper and smooth into place.
- To cover the other side of the Grinch, unroll a section of contact paper and peel the paper back on half of it.
- Carefully line up the paper with the contact paper laying down and stick together while holding the remaining roll of paper above your surface. A second person is very handing for this.
- Smooth the papers together trying to remove any air bubbles.
- Unroll another section of contact paper and peel the paper back on half of it.
- Smooth the papers together while continuing to hold the remaining roll of paper above your surface.
- Repeat covering the entire Grinch.
- Cut away the remaining roll of contact paper.
- Press the contact papers together on the edges by smoothing them down.
- Cut out the Grinch leaving a 1/4″ broader around the outside edges.
Supplies for the hearts:
- Red cardstock
- 2.5 inch heart hole punch
- Clear packing tape
Directions for the hearts:
- Cut out a 6 hearts using the hole punch on red cardstock.
- Spread the hearts out in a 2 by 3 grid on your clean work surface.
- Starting a 1/4″ above the hearts lay a strip of packing tape across the hearts.
- Move down and overlap the packing tape a 1/4″ and lay another strip of tape.
- Repeat covering all hearts completely.
- Smooth the tape over the hearts.
- Peel the tape carefully from the surface and flip over.
- Layer the packing tape on this side of the hearts just like on the other side.
- Smooth the packing tape around the edges of the hearts.
- Using scissors, cut out the hearts leaving a 1/4″ boarder around the outside edges.
- Oriental Trading Company sells a Pin the Heart on the Grinch game if you want to buy it instead of make it. I originally planned to buy it instead of making it. But Oriental Trading Company was sold out.
- A helper is needed to apply the contact paper.
- Use heavy objects to hold the corners of the contact paper in place.
- A credit card works great for smoothing the papers together.
- To store the Grinch roll up like a poster and secure with a rubber band. Or lay flat.
- Apply removable double sided sticky tape to the back of the Grinch and hang him up at about eye level for the players.
- Put a piece of removable double sided tape on the hearts.
- Give each player 2-3 hearts or attempts depending on time and number of players.
- Blindfold a person. Spin them around if desired.
- Have the person try to stick the heart on the Grinch.
I love how my Grinch came out. The kiddos loved playing the game. It was a huge hit at the party.
While I used this for a Grinch-mas party it would be wonderful at any Dr. Seuss themed party. By making it on a poster board, the Grinch is portable and easy to move which makes it a great idea for school or club parties.
For more Grinchmas fun and ideas check out these posts:
- DIY Grinchmas Banner
- Poke a Who Tree Grinchmas Game
- Who Inspired Ornament Grinchmas Craft
- Grinchmas Activities Printables
- Grinchmas Activity Book Cover
- Grinchmas Food Ideas and Free Printables
- Printable Grinchmas Invitation
Have a great day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more fun holiday fun? Check out my Christmas & Winter board on Pinterest.
Leave a Reply