This post, Easy Fruit Salad, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Fruit salad is one of my favorite snacks/desserts. I always have to have some if it is available at a potluck. Surprisingly I had never even thought to make it at home until recently. For a few days all I could think about was fruit salad but I was afraid of making it and having it go bad before we could eat it all. When the third Sunday potluck came up at church this month, I knew exactly what I was going to make.
I found a few different recipes online and they all contained 4 or more fruits plus a fruit juice syrup to keep the fruits from browning. I decided to go with fruits I knew the girls would eat. We used strawberries, blueberries, pineapple chunks, clementines, and bananas.
The fruit juice syrups surprised me a little with how sweet they all sounded. Most of the recipes called for brown sugar which while delicious is very sweet and the fruits are already sweet. I used a small amount of coconut sugar because it was what I had on hand. I was not about to run out to the store for brown sugar when I had a perfectly fine alternative at home.
The first time I made it I found the portions of the syrup to be to high. I had a lot of liquid in the bowl. The next time I made it I reduced the amount and it seemed to work out better.
Easy Fruit Salad
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 bananas
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 4 small oranges (mandarin, clementine, etc)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- Wash strawberries and remove green tops and stems.
- Slice strawberries in to quarters. Fill a 2 cup measuring cup with the strawberries.
- Dump into a large mixing bowl.
- Wash blueberries and remove any stems.
- Fill a 2 cup measuring cup with blueberries and dump into the mixing bowl.
- Core and peel pineapple.
- Slice pineapple into 1/2 inch slices.
- Cut the slices into 1/4-1/2 inch chunks.
- Fill a 2 cup measuring cup with the pineapple chunks and dump into the mixing bowl.
- Peel oranges and break into individual segments.
- Add orange segments to mixing bowl.
- Peel bananas and slice into 1/4 inch slices.
- Add banana slices to the mixing bowl.
- In a 2 cup measuring cup, add OJ, lemon juice, and coconut sugar. Mix until well blended.
- Pour juice mixture over fruit in mixing bowl and stir to coat the fruit in the juice.
- Dump fruit into a serving bowl and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Store in the fridge overnight or until ready to serve, stirring a couple of times.
My easy fruit salad is perfect for brunches, afternoon teas, or wedding and baby showers. While I originally made fruit salad for a church lunch, I have since made it as a side for dinner and afternoon snacks. It makes a great side for my ham, veggie, and hashbrown casserole. The girls and I just can not seem to get enough of it!
Have you ever made fruit salad? How do you make it?
Have a great day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more dessert recipes? Check out my Recipes: Desserts board on Pinterest.