This post, Gluten Free Jam Thumbprint Cookies, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Penguins in Pink is an Amazon Associate site.
These gluten free jam thumbprint cookies are amazing. Soft and chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Filled with your favorite whole fruit jam for a delicious holiday treat.
I originally made these cookies for a holiday gathering a few years ago where a big group of the attendees where gluten free. They were a hit! We loved them so much they quickly became a holiday favorite.
For these cookies, I use Polaner All Fruit jam. I like to use the seedless raspberry, blackberry, and strawberry. I have found that the whole fruit jams bring more flavor and don’t thin out like other jams tend too.
Gluten Free Jam Thumbprint Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour *See notes below
- 1.5 tsp xanthan gum *See notes below
- Sugar (for rolling the cookies in)
- 1/3 cup whole fruit jam (I used raspberry, strawberry, and blackberry)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place extra sugar in a small bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla; stir until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, stirring until combined.
- Scoop the dough using a small cookie scoop.
- Carefully roll the dough into balls.
- Then gently roll in the sugar bowl.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Using the back of a teaspoon measuring spoon or you thumb press into the center of the cookie.
- Using a half teaspoon place a dollop of jam into the center of the indentation in the cookie.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and bake 12-15 minutes or until a light golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool for about 5 minutes on the cookie sheets before moving them to cooling racks to finish cooling.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
- If the dough is sticking to the teaspoon measuring spoon, dip the spoon into a bit of water then the sugar before pressing into the dough balls. It will keep it from sticking.
- Store cookies in a tightly sealed container for up to 5 days.
- After pressing the indentation into the center of the cookie, you can freeze the dough. Just allow to thaw before adding jam and baking.
- While I used Polaner All Fruit jams, you can find all fruit jams at Aldi or Lidl that work just as well.
- I use Better Batter’s gluten free flour for all my baking and it already contains xanthan gum. If your flour does not, and most don’t, you’ll need to add 1.5 tsp of xanthan gum to the ingredients.
These cookies are not only delicious they are fun to make. And perfect for kids to help with!
- Mixing the dough.
- Roll the dough into balls.
- Roll the balls in the sugar.
- Press the measuring spoon into the cookies.
- Fill the cookies with jam.
What’s your favorite cookie recipe?
Have a great day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more desserts? Check out my Recipes: Desserts board on Pinterest.