This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Crispy Rice Treats are one of our favorite desserts to make. It’s an easy recipe so the girls can help, though it’s a challenge to make them wait for the marshmallows to cool. 😉
Cakey loves all things pink and recently asked if we could make pink crispy rice treats. At first I thought of adding food coloring, but for some reason that idea just didn’t click. Instead I added a box of strawberry Jell-o, and let me tell you, that made it pop! The girls loved the strawberry crispy rice treats!
The strawberry gelatin gives the treats a nice strawberry flavor and a pretty pink color.
- 5 TBSP butter
- 1 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups of Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal (or any other gluten free rice cereal)
- 1 large box strawberry gelatin
- Butter a 9 x 13 dish.
- In a large pot, melt butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and strawberry gelatin and stir continuously until completely melted.
- Add cereal and stir until completely coated.
- Pour cereal into prepared pan.
- Use a piece of parchment paper (or a buttered spatula) to smoosh (yes, that’s a technical term, trust me I’m a mom) the treats evenly into the pan.
- Allow to cool completely (even if your littles claim otherwise) and then cut into squares.
Did you know crispy rice treats are freezer friendly? Yup, they are. I usually freeze about half the cut up batch when we make them. To freeze them, store the cut up squares in a freezer-safe ziptop bag. Then when the girls ask for them later, I just pull the bag out of the freezer and let the crispy rice treats come to room temperature.
We were totally bummed out when Kellogg’s stopped making their Gluten Free Brown Rice Cereal last year.
While we are gluten free, the girls have yet to be diagnosed as having Celiac. Given the family history, I expect they’ll have it, but since there’s no diagnosis we’ll sometimes try a food that has no gluten ingredients even if it isn’t certified gluten free. But when it comes to a favorite treat that they’ll be gobbling down in bunches, I insist on certified gluten free. Because of that, we switched from using the discontinued Kellogg’s Gluten Free Brown Rice Cereal to using Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal. Check out this article on verywell.com for more gluten free crispy rice cereals.
Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal tastes great and makes delicious crispy rice treats.
The next time you or your kids are looking for a pretty pink treat, give my Strawberry Crispy Rice Treats a try!
How do you change up your crispy rice treats?
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.