My hubby LOVES chocolate and mint together. For his birthday he always requests mint brownies with mint icing. This year we had two “parties” for him. The extended family party with my mom and sister and then one with just us. James decided to try a different brownie at my mom’s and have his mint brownies at home. Unfortunately, due to my sciatica I was not feeling up to making him his homemade brownies with chocolate peppermint buttercream icing on his actual birthday. I did make them for him a few days later. They were delicious and I just had to share the recipe with you guys!
- 1 cup of oil
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dark cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl blend together the oil, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add in eggs and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until completely integrated.
- The batter will be thick.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Then ice with the chocolate peppermint buttercream icing (recipe below) and cut into squares.
Chocolate Peppermint Buttercream Icing
- 7 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 – 3 tablespoons water
- In a stand mixer cream butter then add cocoa and powdered sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add peppermint extract and mix.
- Add one tablespoon of water.
- Continue adding water one tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Spread icing over brownies.
I like to spread the icing on when the brownies are still slightly warm. I love the melty chocolatey-ness! It is soooo good!
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.