This post, Homemade Buttercream Frosting, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Penguins in Pink is an Amazon Associate site.
We love homemade buttercream frosting. It is so versatile and easy to make. It’s the perfect topping on cakes, brownies, cookies, really anything. I’m pretty sure we’d eat it on cardboard and love it! Haha! I know most people have a go to buttercream recipe but I thought I’d share mine anyway along with some tips for making it.
Homemade Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a stand mixer cream butter then add powdered sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Add one tablespoon of heavy whipping cream.
- Continue adding heavy whipping cream one tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- For thicker frosting use less liquid.
- For thinner frosting use more liquid.
- Milk or water can be used instead of heavy whipping cream. This will change the taste a little.
- If you plan on leaving your homemade buttercream frosting out for an extended time, use water in place of heavy whipping cream.
- You can use shortening in place of the butter to make a dairy-free frosting.
- Be careful not to over mix your frosting.
- You can replace the vanilla extract with any other flavor. Just imagine the possibilities lemon, almond, peppermint, coconut and on and on.
- Buttercream is typically white which means it is super easy to dye. Simply add a couple drops of food coloring while mixing until you reach the color you desire.
- Homemade buttercream frosting spreads wonderfully and is my favorite to pipe with.
What’s your favorite dessert to top with homemade buttercream frosting?
Have a great day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more desserts? Check out my Recipes: Desserts board on Pinterest.