This post, Homemade Cranberry Sauce, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Homemade cranberry sauce tastes so much better than canned cranberry sauce. Plus it is much cheaper. When cranberries go on sale I buy up at least 12 bags of them. We make a yummy dish with cranberries at least once a month.
Most bags of cranberries have a recipe on the back, but I find that recipe too sweet for my tastes. I adjusted the amount of sugar down to a more reasonable amount.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Like I said, I buy at least 12 bags of cranberries when they are on sale. I make all the cranberry sauce in one day and freeze each batch into 2 cup portions. James and the kids do not care for cranberry sauce but they enjoy it in my Cranberry Onion Chicken!
- 1 12 ounce bag of cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Place cranberries in a strainer and wash thoroughly
- In a saucepan, place all ingredients and heat over medium heat.
- Cook stirring occasionally until cranberries burst open.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool to room temperature, mash or blend cranberry sauce to desired consistency.
- Chill until ready to use.
- Pour two or more batches of cranberry sauce into a large bowl.
- Carefully measure out 2 cups of cranberry sauce and place into a quart sized freezer safe bag.
- Squeeze out all the air and zip close.
- Lay flat on counter.
- Stack all bags in a labeled gallon sized freezer bag.
- I freeze mine for up to a year with no problems but I do not know the actual freezer time limit on them.
For a smooth cranberry sauce, blend it in a blender or food processor until it reaches your desired consistency.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce is quick, easy, healthier, and tastier than canned sauce. It is also freezer friendly. This version balances the tartness of cranberries with the sweetness of sugar without using too much sugar.
Do you prefer canned cranberry sauce or homemade cranberry sauce?
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more side dishes? Check out my Recipes: Side Dishes board on Pinterest.