This post, Homemade Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Penguins in Pink is an Amazon Associate site.
While I love to use buttercream frosting for just about everything there are some cakes that need a little extra something, something. And that something is Homemade Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting! Trust me this icing will take your cake to the next level.
Homemade Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, if needed
- In a stand mixer cream cream cheese and butter.
- Then add powdered sugar one cup at a time. Mix well.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time, if needed.
- Spread or pipe frosting over desired cake, cupcakes, or brownies.
- Because this frosting contains cream cheese, remember to refrigerate your cake.
- For thicker frosting use less liquid.
- For thinner frosting use more liquid.
- Milk or water can be used instead of heavy whipping cream. This will change the taste a little.
- Be careful not to over mix your frosting.
- You can replace the vanilla extract with any other flavor. Just imagine the possibilities lemon, almond, peppermint, coconut and on and on.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cinnamon to make a delicious cinnamon cream cheese buttercream frosting.
- Add 3 TBSP unsweetened cocoa or dark cocoa to make a delicious chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting.
- Cream cheese buttercream frosting is typically white which means it is super easy to dye. Simply add a couple drops of food coloring while mixing until you reach the color you desire.
- Homemade buttercream frosting spreads wonderfully and is great to pipe with.
What’s your favorite cake to use cream cheese frosting on carrot cake, red velvet, cookies and cream, pumpkin, etc?
Have a great day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more desserts? Check out my Recipes: Desserts board on Pinterest.