Chicken nuggets are a childhood staple, right? Wait who am I kidding, chicken nuggets are a staple even as an adult!
However, gluten free chicken nuggets are expensive! If I can not find a sale or have a coupon I can usually get Tyson Gluten Free Nuggets for around $8.99 a bag. That one little bag contains approximately 24 nuggets. Which means one bag lasts us two meals if the girls are the only ones eating them and one meal if James and I chop some nuggets up in our salads.
That is not very cost efficient!
Now when Aldi’s has gluten free chicken nuggets at $6.99 a bag I might add, I STOCK UP! I usually buy about 20 bags which will last the girls 4 months.
I recently I found some chicken tenders with a $3 off coupon, making them less than $5 a pack at Target. I decided to try my hand at making homemade gluten free chicken nuggets.
I think we all were pleasantly surprised with how well the nuggets turned out. The girls loved them. I loved how inexpensive they were to make. I got about 80 chicken nuggets for just under $10!
- 24 oz chicken breast tenders
- 1 to 1 1/3 cups gluten free cornmeal (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place yogurt in a shallow bowl.
- In a separate shallow bowl, stir together cornmeal, seasoned salt, and pepper.
- Cut chicken tenders into 1 inch pieces. I usually get 4-5 pieces per tender.
- Dip chicken pieces in yogurt to coat.
- Transfer chicken pieces to cornmeal mixture and coat completely.
- Arrange on baking sheet.
- Bake 15 – 20 minutes or until no longer pink.
- If not eating right away, allow chicken to cool to the touch.
- Store in an zip top freezer safe bag.
- Reheat in microwave or oven as needed.
Yes, dipping the chicken pieces in yogurt is pretty messy. I dropped in 3-4 pieces and mixed them around with a fork. Then I removed them one at a time and tapped the fork on the bowl to remove excess yogurt.
We all enjoyed how crunchy these Homemade Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets turned out. Especially since I did not fry them!
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.