I bake fairly a lot especially vanilla cakes or cupcakes. But I had the hardest time baking these vanilla cupcakes for the bridal shower! I was using the same recipe I always use but it took me three (yes three!) attempts to get one usable batch. Honestly, it was not the recipe. The recipe is perfectly fine. It was me, truly.
The first attempt I read the chocolate cupcake recipe instead of this one. Those cupcakes actually blew up! Well they did not explode just inflated and then deflated. The problem was the chocolate cupcakes contain baking soda which I am assuming caused the blowing up.
The second attempt I read the right recipe but put baking soda in instead of baking powder. Luckily, I noticed before I baked them and was able to throw the batter out.
By the time I made it to the third and final batch I was almost out of white flour. I only had 1 cup left and ended up using 2 cups of whole wheat flour. No one seemed to notice as all the cupcakes were gobbled up! Below you will find my vanilla cupcake recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 tablespoons vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with liners.
- In a stand mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs in one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix flour and baking powder together.
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture beating until thoroughly incorporated.
- Stir milk into batter until smooth.
- Using an ice cream scoop, place one scoop in each muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Makes 24 cupcakes.
I hope you enjoy it just don’t put baking soda in instead of baking powder! Once I get the chocolate cupcake recipe up I’ll do a post about how I made them beach themed for the shower. By the way these are delicious with some buttercream icing!
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.