I have really wanted to try lentils, but I was scared. I have never had lentils so I was not sure what to expect. Then I ran across this recipe on Rachael Ray and decided we had to try a version of it. Winner, winner chicken dinner! It was excellent! Bonus: this is also gluten and dairy free!
- 1 lb Italian chicken sausage (I used 1/2 Al Fresco Hot Italian Chicken Sausage & 1/2 Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage)
- 1 c dried lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions (1 small halved, 1 large)
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped (we prefer the soup without it)
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 3 tbsp dried rosemary
- 4 c beef stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, place lentils, bay leaves, small onion halves, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until tender about 20-22 minutes.
- Drain and discard bay leaves and onion halves.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized soup pot, heat about 3 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Add vegetables, garlic, parsley, and rosemary to pot.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and let sweat about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the beef stock plus 2 cups water to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until potatoes are tender about 12 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken sausage until brown and crumbly about 5-7 minutes.
- Drain sausage.
- Then add sausage and lentils to the soup.
This soup can be made with or without potatoes. The first time I made it, I put potatoes in it. James did not like the potatoes but James does not care for potatoes most of the time. The second time I made this soup I left the potatoes out and we all enjoyed it. In my opinion, the onion is NOT optional. You really need it. The onion gives the lentils a little extra flavor.
What’s your favorite lentil recipe? Share it with us!
Have a blessed day!
Linking up here:
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.