This post, Letter U is for Umbrella and Underwater Craft, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
To help Cakey and Doodles learn the letter U we made Letter U is for Umbrella and Underwater Craft. I really like these kinds of crafts because they help both girls not only learn the letter and something that starts with that letter but the craft allows them to work on learning to use glue neatly. Neatly being the key word. While Cakey is able to use glue by herself she is not always very neat and Doodles is still learning.
The first time Cakey and I did these crafts was in 2014. We are now on our second time going through them (Doodles is on her first time). You can see in the photos at the end a comparison of Cakey’s first time and her second and also Doodles first time. I am hoping to add additional photos when we do our Letter U is for Umbrella and Underwater Craft again next year.
The first time we made this craft I free handed the additional pieces and cut them out from scrap construction paper. This time I created the images and printed them out. You can find the printables for free here Letter U Umbrella Underwater via Dropbox. In this file you will find a large capital U, a lowercase u, 1 page with an umbrella top and fish, and 1 page with extra fish.
While the girls were working on their letter “U” crafts, I read Umbrella from our Tot School Letter U Books list.
Here’s how we did our Letter U is for Umbrella and Underwater Craft:
Capital U Umbrella
- Large capital letter U from page 2 of the Letter U Umbrella Underwater file
- Page 4 of the Letter U Umbrella Underwater file
- Construction paper
- Print the large capital U on any color construction paper.
- Cut out the capital U.
- Print page 4 on any color construction paper and cut out the umbrella top.
- With your help, have your child glue the U to a sheet of construction paper.
- Glue the umbrella top to top of the letter U.
Lowercase u underwater
- Large lower case letter u from page 3 of the Letter U Umbrella Underwater file
- Pages 4-5 print out in the Letter U Umbrella Underwater file
- Sea themed stickers (optional)
- Construction paper
- Print the large lower case u on blue construction paper.
- Cut out the lowercase u.
- Print out page 4-5 on the different color construction paper and cut out the fish (if using).
- With your help, have your child glue the u to a sheet of construction paper.
- Glue the fish or use the sea themed stickers around the Letter u underwater.
Cakey’s first Letter U is for Umbrella and Underwater Craft 2014
Cakey’s second Letter U is for Umbrella and Underwater Craft 2016/2017
Doodles’s first Letter U is for Umbrella and Underwater Craft 2016/2017
Be sure to stop by my Homeschool Arts & Crafts page where I will be linking all our art and crafts projects. And if you are looking for more homeschool activities, make sure you check out my Homeschool page which contains links to our sensory bins, math & science, and book lists.
Have you and your kids ever made a Letter U is for craft? What animal, food, or plant did you make for the letter U?
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more Tot School Resources and Ideas? Check out my Homeschool: Totschool, Preschool, Kindergarten board on Pinterest.