The other brownies James wanted for his birthday were Salted Caramel Pretzel Brownies. He saw a picture on Facebook and wanted to try them. I decided to make them for the “party” with my family. They do not care for mint that much, not that I can blame them. I like a little mint but James likes a lotta mint!
Anyway, these brownies sounded like the perfect treat. Chocolate, pretzels, and caramel! I mean come on that just sounds so yummy! Be that as it may, we all decided the brownies, caramel, and salt were delicious but the pretzels added nothing absolutely nothing. They just seemed to be in the way in our opinion be that as it may I’m still gonna share the recipe with you guys.
- 1 cup of oil
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dark cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Or use your favorite box mix and prepare as directed.
- 3 cups pretzels
- 1 jar caramel sauce
- Coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl blend together the oil, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add in eggs and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until completely integrated.
- The batter will be thick.
- Spread 1/3 of the batter into prepared pan.
- Then add two even layers of pretzels.
- Very carefully, spoon remaining batter over pretzels.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Then spoon caramel sauce over brownies and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Cut into squares.
I was very surprised at how much flavor the sea salt added to the caramel topping. It was just so delicious! Yum! Yum! I will make this again just without the pretzels.
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.