We love buttercream icing. It is so versatile and easy to make. It’s the perfect topping on cakes, brownies, cookies, really anything. I’m pretty sure we’d eat it on cardboard and love it! Haha! I know most people have a go to buttercream recipe but I thought I’d share mine anyway along with some tips for making it.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a stand mixer cream butter then add powdered sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Add one tablespoon of heavy whipping cream.
- Continue adding heavy whipping cream one tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- For thicker icing use less liquid.
- For thinner icing use more liquid.
- Milk or water can be used instead of heavy whipping cream. This will change the taste a little.
- If you plan on leaving your icing out for an extended time, use water in place of heavy whipping cream.
- You can use shortening in place of the butter to make a dairy-free icing.
- Be careful not to over mix your icing.
- You can replace the vanilla extract with any other flavor. Just imagine the possibilities lemon, almond, peppermint, coconut and on and on.
- For a delicious chocolate buttercream icing try this one just omit the peppermint extract.
- Buttercream is typically white which means it is super easy to dye. Simply add a couple drops of food coloring while mixing until you reach the color you desire.
- This icing spreads wonderfully and is my favorite to pipe with.
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.