This post, Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Sauce, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Sweet and Spicy cranberry sauce is a twist on the classic with just enough heat to spice up your plate.
My mom and I are the only ones who eat cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving or Christmas. However, everyone eats cranberry sauce when either of us make Cranberry Onion Chicken. Instead of doing traditional cranberry sauce I decided to make a sweet and spicy cranberry sauce. The sweet and spicy cranberry sauce came out so good. It had the perfect balance of spiciness and heat along with the tangy, tartness of cranberries and a subtle sweetness to round things out.
Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Sauce
- 1 12 oz bag of cranberries
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- a generous pinch of red pepper flakes
- hot sauce to taste
- Place cranberries in a strainer and rinse well, removing any stems or debris you find.
- In a saucepan, place all ingredients and heat over medium heat.
- Cook stirring occasionally until cranberries burst open.
- Taste sauce and add more hot sauce as needed. I ended up using 1/2 tablespoon.
- Cool to room temperature, then mash or blend cranberry sauce to desired consistency.
- Chill until ready to use.
- Sprinkle with additional crushed red pepper, if desired.
- Place prepared sweet and spicy cranberry sauce into freezer friendly zip top quart sized bags.
- Remove all air while closing.
- Label and store in freezer.
I prefer smooth cranberry sauce so I always blend mine. But you can mash the cranberries with a potato masher in the pot if you prefer a chunkier sauce.
I do however think sweet and spicy cranberry sauce would make some excellent cranberry onion chicken! When I make up and freeze my batches of cranberry sauce later this week, I’m going to make some sweet and spicy in addition to traditional.
How do you like your cranberry sauce with a little kick or do you prefer traditional?
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more side dishes? Check out my Recipes: Side Dishes board on Pinterest.