We are not fans of meatloaf. Strange, right? James LOVES beef, but whenever we try a meatloaf recipe it always ends up more of a “meh” than a “yeah!” This particular meatloaf changed our minds, and it went straight past a “yeah!” to an “oh my goodness!”
It is just that awesome!
Taco Meatloaf is a fun way to shake up your typical “Taco Tuesdays” boredom.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup finely crushed corn chips
- 2 1/2 TBSP Homemade Taco Seasoning or 1 packet
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium bowl, mix ground beef, egg, corn chips, taco seasoning, salsa and 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese
- Mix thoroughly and form into a loaf
- Place the loaf into a loaf pan or baking sheet
- In a small bowl, mix the refried beans, 1/2 cup salsa, and 1/4 of the Mexican cheese
- Smear the refried bean mixture on top of the uncooked meat loaf
- Bake the meatloaf for 35 minutes
- Remove the meat loaf and sprinkle the meatloaf with the remaining cheese
- Return the meat loaf to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes
If you are worried about “soggy meatloaf” bake the meatloaf on a broiler pan. The grease will drain down and your meatloaf will not be soggy. If you use a lean ground beef like 90% lean beef you should not have much grease in the pan. We use Laura’s Lean Beef and have never had the “soggy meatloaf” problem.
Prepare meatloaf up to step 3
Wrap the unbaked meatloaf in a couple layers of plastic wrap
Wrap the plastic wrap in a layer of aluminum foil, label, and freeze
Then follow from step 4
Pair this with a side salad for a yummy dinner.
We actually had leftovers of this the next day and we actually ATE them! I crumbled the meatloaf on top of my salad, added extra salsa and had an easy taco salad for lunch.
If your family likes tacos or Mexican food you have got to try this Taco Meatloaf. It might not be the prettiest dish I have served but it sure was one of the tastiest! Share your thoughts on this recipe in the comment sections below.
Have a blessed day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.