Shortly after Cakey was born James made this Zucchini and Squash with Sausage recipe for me. He said it was the only way he would eat zucchini and squash. He also said it was how his mother made it but I did not verify that!
A little while ago I decided to make this dish again. I did everything he had done. When it came time to eat James was like, “What’s this?” I of course responded with “Dinner.” Followed by James stating the obvious that it contained zucchini and squash. I responded with, “Yes it does. You made it for me before and you claimed then to like it. That’s why I made it.” He responded with “If you say so. I’ll try it.” He did and guess what? He didn’t like it! During dinner he even commented about remembering making it for me. 🙂 Oh that man! He sure is silly!
Anyway, this recipe is yummy. The girls and I like it regardless of what James says.
- 4 (6 inch) sausage links
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 1 large onion
- 1 TBSP oil
- Slice zucchini, yellow squash, and onion into 1/4-1/2 inch slices.
- Slice the sausage into 1/4 inch slices
- Heat oil in a large skillet
- Add zucchini, squash, onion and sausage to skillet
- Cook until brown on one side then flip over
- You might need to work in batches depending on the size of your skillet.
- Continue cooking until sausages are browned and thoroughly cooked and veggies are tender and slightly charred
The zucchini and squash with sausage is great alone, but I think it could do with a bed of rice. The unique savory flavor lends itself well to experimenting with sauces and condiments. Perhaps try it with some sweet and sour sauce, or add an extra kick with some red pepper flakes? Let me know about your experiments!
Have a blessed day!
Linking up here:
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.