This post, Gluten Free Sausage and Rice Casserole, may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, Penguins in Pink will receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Penguins in Pink is an Amazon Associate site.
Gluten free sausage and rice casserole is a dish that brings back so many memories for me. My mom got this recipe from another Army wife while my family was stationed in Germany. Let me tell you, it quickly became a family favorite!
Gluten free sausage and rice casserole was one of the first dishes I made for James and I after we got married. James loves to fry the leftovers with eggs the next day for breakfast. Me? I’m a bit of a purist and prefer to eat the casserole as it is for leftovers.
Gluten Free Sausage and Rice Casserole
- 1 pound pork sausage (make sure it’s gluten free)
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 8 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1 can of gluten free condensed cream of mushroom or celery soup + 1 can of water
- 3 cups water or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium over medium-high heat pan bring water or chicken stock to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium, add rice, and cook until done.
- Pour rice into a large bowl.
- While the rice is cooking, in a frying pan over medium-high heat cook sausage with salt and pepper to taste.
- When sausage is done, drain grease and pour sausage into the bowl with the rice.
- Open the condensed soup and pour it into the bowl.
- Fill the can with water, scraping the sides and bottom of the can and add it to the bowl.
- Stir until well combined.
- Mix in half the cheese.
- Pour the sausage rice mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and smooth out. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes or until heated thoroughly and cheese is all melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Gluten Free sausage and rice casserole freezes beautifully!
- Make through step 10.
- Then pour into a freezer friendly ziptop bag.
- Squeeze any excess air out and close tightly.
- Lay flat in freezer.
- Thaw in the fridge.
- Then follow the remaining steps.
- Switch out the white rice for brown rice. Or even better add up to half quinoa instead.
- Mix in a bag of frozen vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, or your favorite kind.
- Spice the casserole up by making half (or all!) of the cheddar cheese with pepper jack.
I usually serve gluten free sausage and rice casserole with a steamed vegetable side. Broccoli is our favorite.
While this is the classic 80s recipe I grew up with, I know that it is in no way “healthy”! But it sure is tasty! Also, back in the day we just used regular condensed soup but that was before we were gluten free.
I hope your family enjoys it as much as my family does!
Do you have a recipe from your childhood that you still make today?
Have a great day!
This post may or may not contain referral links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Looking for more main dishes? Then check out my Recipes: Main Dishes board on Pinterest!